Thursday, June 14, 2012

40 Years of Wedded Bliss

My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary this year.  Their love, friendship and support is evident in everything they do - from holding hands, to making sure to kiss each other good night each and every night.  I think the fact that I am still single helps me appreciate their love and joy that much more.  

The kids (i.e. my sister, brother, their spouses, and me) put together a party for them this past weekend. It poured the night before the party, and the day started out rainy, which made me a bit nervous and neurotic (particularly because so many people wanted to join us).  By noon, the skies cleared and it was a gorgeous day.  The rain actually kept the bugs away for the afternoon.  Turns out, this is exactly what happened on their wedding day.  There are some angels up above blessing their marriage!

As we were putting together the guest list and reaching out to their friends and family, it became so evident that my parents are loved by those around them.  Everyone wanted to join in the party, brought a dish to share, and had a good time.  Those that couldn't come sent heartfelt notes about how much my parents mean to them.  As their children, we know they are amazing people, and it is amazing to know that everyone else sees this as well.  

It's no surprise, though, that they are so well respected.  Both of my parents are retired but work harder than most people with a full time job.  They volunteer their time at a variety of organizations, and they always follow through on their word.  

I hope I make the kind of impression on people that my parents do, and I hope some day I will be celebrating a special anniversary with a special person, still holding hands.  

Love you mom and dad!!!  (and for those of you who are wondering, I wore flip-flops)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment