Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Gram

Today is my grandmother's birthday. Gram passed away a few years ago, but she is still living strong in my mind. My sister and I still talk about her often, and just this past weekend we were talking about my dad's memory of Gram's potatoe soup (which she adamantly denied ever making).

Gram was, and is, a huge part of my life. She put me on the bus and got me off the bus; I helped her out at my parent's store; I watched Days of Our Lives at her house when coming home from 1/2 day kindergarten. We always had Thanksgiving dinner at her house on the China her father brought home from overseas, followed by a rowdy game of cards. I mowed her lawn. We shopped together, and ate at Friendly's (she loved their Liver and Onions). We laughed - a lot.

Don't get me wrong - Gram could be stubborn and drive us all nuts, but she stuck to her guns and made things happen. I wish she had written a book of the stories she could tell. For now, though, we will have to keep her stories going in our memory.

So where are the shoes going to come in here? I don't think they are coming in this time. My memories are dancing barefoot in her living room while listening to John Prine - That's The Way the World Goes Round. I still listen to that album now and then and smile, thinking of the good times we had dancing to it and to Me and Bobby McGee. She did know her music! There was another song by another folk singer about a Motorcycle (I don't want a pickle... Just want to ride on my Motor-sickle????), but John Prine was our go to album. My sister and I even got her to a John Prine concert one time.

Well I could babble on and on about this amazing woman, but I'll spare you. In the meantime - Love you Gram - today, and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment