Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Weekend

It's the weekend!!! After a short delay, I'm about to head out for a weekend/night away at my brother's. It's rare that I find myself up before the sun, but I'm excited (and my ride wants to leave early), so here I am, bright and skippy - coffee in hand. Yet another stretch of bad weather came yesterday, otherwise I would already be at my destination (and probably still sleeping). The joys of February weather.

I'm excited to be spending this weekend with amazing people and celebrating the baptism of the newest member of our family. We will have a blast! Lots of hugs and kisses to go around, I am sure, as well as lots of fun and playtime with a rambunctious 4 year old.

It was while I was packing that I had the thought (again) of "when did I become that girl?" By "that girl", I mean the one who has to bring multiple pairs of shoes for an overnight trip. I have 3 pairs of shoes in my bag - which means a total of 4 pairs are coming with me since I have to be wearing a pair. I must be prepared for any weather, and therefore I must have multiple shoes (yes, I just turned my shoe obsession into a survival tactic). I have my high dress boots that can be worn with the dress I'm wearing tomorrow in case it is super cold; a pair of black heals in case I feel like the boots aren't dressy enough; sneakers in case I decide to make time to do a workout; winter boots (which I will be wearing out there) because I understand there is still snow on the ground so they are a must (and I may be dragged outside by my beautiful niece who wants to play). That is half of my travel bag - shoes. The clothes don't take up much space, so the majority of the rest of the space is a large brush and make up. Again, when did I become that girl?

I do feel a little guilty, though, because there are many people out there who don't own 4 pairs of shoes, let alone think to take them on one overnight trip. I know I'm lucky (and spoiled) to have the things I have, and I also realize they are simply material things and I could do without them. What really matters are the relationships in my life, and the blessings I have, and I continually look for ways to share the excess that I have. This weekend isn't about the shoes that are on my feet, but it is about the celebration of my nephew. That is really what matters. Still - I have to look good while celebrating, right?

Have an amazing weekend and I'll be back soon to tell you more about my adventures!

(For those of you who have been lucky enough to know me personally and spend any time with me this past week - I used the semicolons correctly above; I'm not afraid of any punctuation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment