Sunday, July 31, 2011

Best Laid Plans

We spend so much time planning life - planning our careers, weekend getaways, weekly meal plans, you name it. I am a planner. I like to know when I am supposed to be certain places, what is expected of me, etc. Still, this weekend reminded me how much fun things going against the meticulous plan can be a true blessing in disguise.

The plan - I would head down to the Culinary Institute of America with three friends for a fun filled day of good food and great company. I had looked at the website many times to prepare, and I was excited for the day. The one thing I didn't do (the one thing none of us going on this adventure did) was click on the link that listed the closings for the CIA. We drove almost 2 hours to see a barrier across the entry way and a sign saying they would open up August 3rd. We drove around a bit (until the security guard asked us to leave) and then needed to find a new adventure.

If I had been with other people, with other personalities, this would have been a disaster. It wasn't, though. We stopped at a historical site and a facebook update helped me connect with a friend I hadn't seen in over 10 years who was nearby, and we met up for lunch. We all laughed a lot. After lunch, we did some shopping, found a great Mexican restaurant where they made the guacamole at the table for you, and did some more shopping. It was a great day, and I think I can speak for everyone involved that we had a blast.

Sometimes, planning is overrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment