Friday, July 22, 2011

Self Help Books

As many of you know, Borders is closing. This is very sad for me - I love a good book, and spending some time searching for my next treasure in a bookstore is a favorite activity of mine. I know, I should be supporting local bookstores (which I do), but Borders has been my go-to large bookstore for years, and I'm sad to see it go. (I'm also an avid kindle user, which I also know is one of the things that has made Borders a soon to be thing of the past).

Anyways, where I am going with this is actually a rant about self help books. I decided to hit up my local Borders to check out their deals as they go out of business (I am sad to see them go, but I'm a sucker for a good deal). They have bargain books in front, and one of them was a self help "find your inner and outer beauty" book/manual/guide/faithful companion, etc. And... It was only $3.99 (plus 10% off that!!!)

So I bought the book. On the way home, though, I started thinking about all the money I have spent on books to better myself, even though I have to say I really like who I am. I'm know there are things I would like to change - I could lose a few pounds, I could drink less caffeine, I could learn to be a little less stubborn and independent, blah blah blah. The key is, I know what I would like to change, and I also know how to change these things through determination, but I'm overall happy with my life and who I am, so I don't bother. So why do I keep buying books that have quick fixes in them (that never work)? Maybe that is what I need to change about myself - stop spending money on self help books!

I may read through this book, or I may add it to the pile on my coffee table (right on top of a weight loss book for busy professionals I bought at Marshall's for $3.99) and forget about it until I make room for it on my book case. I'll let you know how I make out.

In the meantime, I was able to resist a 2012 calendar full of pictures of shoes (it wasn't a great deal), so if anyone wants to pick that up for me feel free.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment