Thursday, March 3, 2011

Celebration Food

What is it about baking that is calming? Why do I always feel better with the yummy smells wafting about the house? I love to find an excuse to bake. Right now, I have a cake in the oven to celebrate a friend's birthday tomorrow. It's a new recipe for rum cake, but it does smell good. Fingers crossed it tastes as good as it smells.

A lot of people and cultures use food for comfort, traditions, and to show love and joy. It is so much more than nutrition (even if most of those "feel good" foods aren't exactly good for you." I'm definitely not complaining; just stating a fact. Maybe some day I will end up opening my bakery - "Little Slices of Heaven." Any investors want to back me? I will do my best to make sure some of the baked goods are at least half way healthy.

Those who don't have a lot of food find ways to use it for more than sustenance. It makes a simple donation of food to a food bank or shelter that much more meaningful. Could that item be part of a child's birthday dinner? Maybe it will be part of a Sunday dinner with Grandma. It truly makes you reflect on the food we sometimes take for granted and be grateful for what we have - comfort food, birthday dinner, rum cake, or basic nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment