Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sacrifice

Today is Ash Wednesday - the first day of Lent. I have given up buying shoes (and eating candy and desserts). Don't worry, I'm not going to start discussing religion now... This tradition has me thinking, though. In this world of wants and excess, it never hurts to force some sacrifice on yourself.

Facebook was full of people discussing what they are giving up from now until Easter; people on the radio were discussing this; I told everyone at work what I am giving up. (I'm going to do my best not to be crabby about it) I would like to think I'm giving something up for the sacrifice, but I have to be honest, I spent time thinking about what would benefit me most. It is a selfish sacrifice. Giving up sweets will hopefully help me lose a few pounds (fingers crossed). That doesn't mean it won't be hard, though. And I guess the difficulty is what really matters. I refuse to feel guilty. I'm lucky that I'm in the position that giving up sweets is even a possibility; there are people who can't eat sweets due to alergies and those can't afford desserts. I'll say it again - I'm blessed to have the life I have, full of friends, family and support, and lacking wants.

My real sacrifice is the shoes - especially when I have websites sending me e-mails with great deals. Just think, come Easter I can get a spectacular pair of shoes to celebrate :-) (and my bank account will be happier)

No comments:

Post a Comment